Senior R&D Systems Technician
ICON is looking for a Senior R&D Systems Technician to manage application testing for the cross-functional development of our 3D printing systems that are revolutionizing the construction technology industry. The ideal candidate should have a solid foundation with 3D printing processes digital construction processes, and methodologies. This individual is extremely proficient at communicating accurate information in the form of test planning, and execution with “boots on the ground”, and reporting. We need a self-starter who is humble, meticulous, hardworking, collaborative and loves to solve problems. This role will report to the Director of DoD R&D at our Austin, TX campus.
- Operate Vulcan and Magma systems to test and validate new R&D efforts, including print operations analogous to ICON’s residential and commercial projects.
- Describe print quality assist in the evaluation of hardware/software issues during test prints, and propose solutions, working closely with mechanical and control systems engineers.
- Connect and disconnect electrical, pneumatic, and network cabling to facilitate printer mobility.
- Troubleshoot electrical, mechanical, and software systems virtually or in person using schematics or other documentation.
- Manage the delivery and inventory of replacement parts.
- Conduct standardized laboratory testing on aggregate, cement, concrete, and other construction materials.
- Cooperate with other team members on the development and implementation of standardized and/or one-off test procedures for additive manufacturing with cement-based materials.
- Participate in the internal QC program, including but not limited to fabrication of test specimens on job sites, transportation of specimens to the laboratory, testing and/or testing management, and reporting.
- Conduct laboratory testing programs related to the development and optimization of cement-based mixtures following directions provided by material engineers and scientists.
- Assist with other various laboratory and fieldwork tasks, including providing technician support to other departments of the company if necessary.
- Maintain, adjust, and calibrate testing equipment, test fixtures, and other laboratory tools.
- Facilitate repairs or replacements as needed.
- 1+ years of experience operating as a Print Lead or equivalent experience as a Technician III.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully operate on ICON job sites.
- Experience with additive construction with concrete 3D printers.
- Exposure to a variety of industrial-scale production machinery, sensors, and data processing.
- Ability to communicate on-slab training in a customer-facing role.
- Experience generating functional diagrams and process diagrams of complex systems.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Technical operations coordination - interfacing with other departments and working towards a common team effort.
- Cross-trained mobility training is a plus.
- Interest and ability to document machine functionality and generate training and machine maintenance documentation.
- Enthusiastic communicator with experience presenting and enabling successful training and maintenance content.
- Knowledge of various part fabrication techniques (machining, welding, sheet metal fabrication, laser cutting, etching, injection molding, 3D printing).
- Experience conducting standard ASTM construction test methods (concrete, cement, aggregate, soils) in construction laboratory (or equivalent) settings.
- ACI Certification
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Must be prepared to work, in part, in extreme environments: temps > 100 degrees or below freezing, sun, rain, mud, lack of electricity, etc.
- Ability to travel outside of Austin, TX for multiple weeks at a time.
- Ability to work nights and weekends.
- Ability to work on your feet for the majority of the day.
Furthermore, as a federal government contractor, the Company maintains an affirmative action program which furthers its commitment and complies with recordkeeping and reporting requirements under certain federal civil rights laws and regulations, including Executive Order 11246, Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (as amended) and the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974 (as amended).
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit candidates through this application. ICON does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency submissions for candidates and will not pay fees to any third-party agency without a prior agreement with ICON.
As part of our compliance with these obligations, the Company invites you to voluntarily self-identify as set forth below. Provision of such information is entirely voluntary and a decision to provide or not provide such information will not have any effect on your employment or subject you to any adverse treatment. Any and all information provided will be considered confidential, will be kept separate from your application and/or personnel file, and will only be used in accordance with applicable laws, orders and regulations, including those that require the information to be summarized and reported to the federal government for civil rights enforcement purposes.
ABOUT THE TEAM
Solving one of the most challenging problems humanity faces requires a level of diversity across disciplines. ICON believes that by being a non-homogenous organization, we can capture unique perspectives, educational backgrounds, and ideation. We strive to be inclusive and seek team members who share our passion for the mission within the mission: building robust and diverse teams to help us prevail in the face of our challenges.
We‘re a team of varied backgrounds, countries, and experiences, and we believe our differences make us stronger as we tackle some of the most challenging problems of our time.
Every startup wants to change the world, but we genuinely believe we’re not being hyperbolic when we say this technology has the potential to reinvent human shelter, dramatically improving quality and resiliency while driving down costs to make housing affordable for everyone. We believe in harnessing the power of construction technology for the good of all humanity, both here on Earth and off-world. And while we get excited about R&D accomplishments in the lab, we get more excited when we see our work out in the real world, printing real homes for real people.
We work hard because we know what we are doing can reshape the way we live as a species. And it doesn’t hurt that it’s super fun. Where else do you get to play with giant robots and see the results of your work manifest in beautiful full-scale buildings that didn’t exist before—and that someone can now call home?