Mechanical Engineer I, Off-Planet Robotics
ICON is looking for a Mechanical Engineer to join our Off-planet Robotics team. In this role, you will be responsible for supporting the advancement of additive construction methods for the use on other worlds. The ideal candidate will have experience in the design, procurement, and testing of hardware for process development. This position will require you to work in a laboratory environment including working on systems operating in a vacuum and under extreme temperatures. The ideal candidate will be able to work cross-functionally with the process development team and require significant hands-on testing and iteration. This role will report to ICON's Senior Mechanical Engineer on the Off-planet Robotics team out of our Austin, TX campus.
- Support the development of advanced additive construction processes by designing, building, and testing novel fixtures and process support equipment.
- Design, procure and test systems in vacuum conditions.
- Works closely with the process development team to quickly develop and implement solutions and/or new tests.
- Work hands-on assembling, testing, and troubleshooting process hardware.
- Specify drive and motion components such as motors, gearboxes, and servo drives.
- Help troubleshoot additive construction problems related to either the process parameters with the process development team.
- Run FEA and CFD analysis to provide safe and reliable engineered solutions.
- Create detailed and concise test reports and documentation related to hardware and process development.
- Must be willing to perform a wide range of tasks on a daily basis (e.g. Transition from office work to fieldwork at a moment’s notice).
- Establish individual and team goals consistent with overall company OKRs.
- B.S. degree or higher in Mechanical Engineer, Aerospace Engineering, or related field.
- 2+ years of recent experience designing aerospace or equivalent type mechanical system elements within aircraft, spacecraft, or launch vehicles.
- Strong mechanical design skills.
- Familiarity with vacuum hardware.
- Experience with Solidworks.
- Ability to earn trust, maintain positive and professional relationships.
- Hands-on troubleshooting experience.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- M.S. or Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineer, Aerospace Engineering, or related field.
- Has experience in testing or developing novel processes.
- Familiarity with serial robotic arm operations and design constraints.
- Experience in formal systems engineering: requirements development, implementation, verification, system integration, qualification, and release.
- Experience in spacecraft systems design.
- Experience in structural FEA and CFD using ANSYS, or similar tools.
Furthermore, as a federal government contractor, the Company maintains an affirmative action program which furthers its commitment and complies with recordkeeping and reporting requirements under certain federal civil rights laws and regulations, including Executive Order 11246, Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (as amended) and the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974 (as amended).
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit candidates through this application. ICON does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency submissions for candidates and will not pay fees to any third-party agency without a prior agreement with ICON.
As part of our compliance with these obligations, the Company invites you to voluntarily self-identify as set forth below. Provision of such information is entirely voluntary and a decision to provide or not provide such information will not have any effect on your employment or subject you to any adverse treatment. Any and all information provided will be considered confidential, will be kept separate from your application and/or personnel file, and will only be used in accordance with applicable laws, orders and regulations, including those that require the information to be summarized and reported to the federal government for civil rights enforcement purposes.
ABOUT THE TEAM
Solving one of the most challenging problems humanity faces requires a level of diversity across disciplines. ICON believes that by being a non-homogenous organization, we can capture unique perspectives, educational backgrounds, and ideation. We strive to be inclusive and seek team members who share our passion for the mission within the mission: building robust and diverse teams to help us prevail in the face of our challenges.
We‘re a team of varied backgrounds, countries, and experiences, and we believe our differences make us stronger as we tackle some of the most challenging problems of our time.
Every startup wants to change the world, but we genuinely believe we’re not being hyperbolic when we say this technology has the potential to reinvent human shelter, dramatically improving quality and resiliency while driving down costs to make housing affordable for everyone. We believe in harnessing the power of construction technology for the good of all humanity, both here on Earth and off-world. And while we get excited about R&D accomplishments in the lab, we get more excited when we see our work out in the real world, printing real homes for real people.
We work hard because we know what we are doing can reshape the way we live as a species. And it doesn’t hurt that it’s super fun. Where else do you get to play with giant robots and see the results of your work manifest in beautiful full-scale buildings that didn’t exist before—and that someone can now call home?