Senior Mechanical Engineer I, MEP Systems
ICON is seeking a Senior Mechanical Engineer I, MEP Systems to join our Architecture and Building Performance department. As part of an MEP team delivering mechanical and plumbing systems designs for light commercial and residential projects. The role will work closely with ICON’s Construction Architects and Project Architect of Record to deliver electrical distribution designs across multiple projects. This role is based at ICON’s Austin, TX campus and will report to the Director of Building Performance and Science. The role will also provide support in researching and evaluating technologies and systems to create high performance, and sustainable 3D printed buildings.
As part of a small, passionate and accomplished team, you will develop the processes, workflows, and designs to deliver leading mechanical systems integrated with printed wall systems, enclosures, and buildings using ICON’s technology set. As an ICONIC, you will be an industry leader and direct contributor to the development of entirely novel approaches to high-performance buildings and you will have the opportunity to work with your team to advance humankind’s ability to provide dignified, affordable, resilient, and sustainable shelter to the world.
- Deliver mechanical and plumbing designs for light commercial and residential projects across the US.
- Coordinate with Construction Architects and MEP Project Manager to integrate mechanical and plumbing systems into ICON’s print projects.
- Complete mechanical systems design for building projects, including thermal load calculations and HVAC distribution.
- Complete plumbing systems design for building projects including systems sizing and distribution.
- Prepare and review drawings and specifications detailing the design.
- Coordinating with multiple disciplines.
- Writing reports for internal and external purposes based on findings.
- Present technical material in traditional and innovative ways for review by technical and non-technical audiences.
- Delivery of Issue for Permit / Issue for Construction documentation for mechanical distribution systems.
- Support Pre-construction teams and Construction Project Managers to deliver mechanical designs on budget and on schedule.
- 7+ years of mechanical engineering design experience.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical, Architectural Engineering or related discipline.
- Superior interpersonal skills with clients and staff.
- Revit MEP Experience.
- Experience working with load schedules in Revit.
- Professional Engineer License (Mechanical, P.E.) and ability to become licensed in Texas within 3 - 4 months.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Integrated Project Delivery or Big Room Experience preferred.
- Experience working with Revit MEP plugins, “smart” schedules preferred.
- Hydronic system experience preferred.
Furthermore, as a federal government contractor, the Company maintains an affirmative action program which furthers its commitment and complies with recordkeeping and reporting requirements under certain federal civil rights laws and regulations, including Executive Order 11246, Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (as amended) and the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974 (as amended).
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit candidates through this application. ICON does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency submissions for candidates and will not pay fees to any third-party agency without a prior agreement with ICON.
As part of our compliance with these obligations, the Company invites you to voluntarily self-identify as set forth below. Provision of such information is entirely voluntary and a decision to provide or not provide such information will not have any effect on your employment or subject you to any adverse treatment. Any and all information provided will be considered confidential, will be kept separate from your application and/or personnel file, and will only be used in accordance with applicable laws, orders and regulations, including those that require the information to be summarized and reported to the federal government for civil rights enforcement purposes.
ABOUT THE TEAM
Solving one of the most challenging problems humanity faces requires a level of diversity across disciplines. ICON believes that by being a non-homogenous organization, we can capture unique perspectives, educational backgrounds, and ideation. We strive to be inclusive and seek team members who share our passion for the mission within the mission: building robust and diverse teams to help us prevail in the face of our challenges.
We‘re a team of varied backgrounds, countries, and experiences, and we believe our differences make us stronger as we tackle some of the most challenging problems of our time.
Every startup wants to change the world, but we genuinely believe we’re not being hyperbolic when we say this technology has the potential to reinvent human shelter, dramatically improving quality and resiliency while driving down costs to make housing affordable for everyone. We believe in harnessing the power of construction technology for the good of all humanity, both here on Earth and off-world. And while we get excited about R&D accomplishments in the lab, we get more excited when we see our work out in the real world, printing real homes for real people.
We work hard because we know what we are doing can reshape the way we live as a species. And it doesn’t hurt that it’s super fun. Where else do you get to play with giant robots and see the results of your work manifest in beautiful full-scale buildings that didn’t exist before—and that someone can now call home?