Director, Concrete Materials
ICON is looking for a Director, Concrete Materials who will lead the development of new technologies to improve and localize our proprietary cementitious binder “Lavacrete”. As a leader in the field, you will provide high-level guidance related to testing, new formulations, and insights into developing new Lavacrete binders as well as provide support to improve existing formulations. The role will require close collaboration with other departments and lead interdisciplinary projects.
- Lead independent research and print projects and provide recommendations on material performance.
- Develop new R&D research initiatives internally and externally. Work directly with clients and provide updates to the senior leadership team.
- Develop new mix designs and iterate on previously designed mixes.
- Supervise experiments for research and development and quality control testing.
- Work with construction materials manufacturers to ensure new mix designs can be manufactured.
- Manage the material testing of newly developed mixes as well as monitor the testing of printed elements.
- Provide recommendations and/or research cementitious mixes for non-3D printing purposes.
- Monitor and evaluate the 3D printing technology related to material, manufacturing, built environment, and receiving
- processes as they relate to government sustainability policies and environmental impact regulation compliance.
- Provide recommendations for reducing the carbon footprint from the material, building to city scale.
- Work with various departments to incorporate sustainability practices for additive manufacturing.
- Lead training sessions or workshops on concrete technology and practices for employees.
- Work with internal team members and external consultants to review and prepare reports and documentation and present them to management as appropriate, along with recommendations for improvement.
- Experience with standard ASTM testing procedures.
- Industry experience related to 3D printing is preferred.
- Ph.D. in Engineering or Masters with 3 years industry experience.
- B.S. in Civil Engineering/Material Science Engineering with 5 years of industry experience.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience in concrete science and technology.
- Experience developing custom cement mixes.
- Experience working with dry-mix manufacturers.
- Experience in quality control of 3D-printable mixes.
- Experience in cementitious material characterization and durability testing.
- Experience in building science.
- Innovative, driven, out-of-the-box thinker, self-motivated to investigate and implement new ideas, and proactive in overcoming obstacles.
- Strong communication, teamwork, and organizational skills.
- Experience in leading or working on a multi-disciplinary engineering problem.
Furthermore, as a federal government contractor, the Company maintains an affirmative action program which furthers its commitment and complies with recordkeeping and reporting requirements under certain federal civil rights laws and regulations, including Executive Order 11246, Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (as amended) and the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974 (as amended).
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit candidates through this application. ICON does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency submissions for candidates and will not pay fees to any third-party agency without a prior agreement with ICON.
As part of our compliance with these obligations, the Company invites you to voluntarily self-identify as set forth below. Provision of such information is entirely voluntary and a decision to provide or not provide such information will not have any effect on your employment or subject you to any adverse treatment. Any and all information provided will be considered confidential, will be kept separate from your application and/or personnel file, and will only be used in accordance with applicable laws, orders and regulations, including those that require the information to be summarized and reported to the federal government for civil rights enforcement purposes.
ABOUT THE TEAM
Solving one of the most challenging problems humanity faces requires a level of diversity across disciplines. ICON believes that by being a non-homogenous organization, we can capture unique perspectives, educational backgrounds, and ideation. We strive to be inclusive and seek team members who share our passion for the mission within the mission: building robust and diverse teams to help us prevail in the face of our challenges.
We‘re a team of varied backgrounds, countries, and experiences, and we believe our differences make us stronger as we tackle some of the most challenging problems of our time.
Every startup wants to change the world, but we genuinely believe we’re not being hyperbolic when we say this technology has the potential to reinvent human shelter, dramatically improving quality and resiliency while driving down costs to make housing affordable for everyone. We believe in harnessing the power of construction technology for the good of all humanity, both here on Earth and off-world. And while we get excited about R&D accomplishments in the lab, we get more excited when we see our work out in the real world, printing real homes for real people.
We work hard because we know what we are doing can reshape the way we live as a species. And it doesn’t hurt that it’s super fun. Where else do you get to play with giant robots and see the results of your work manifest in beautiful full-scale buildings that didn’t exist before—and that someone can now call home?