Construction Purchasing Specialist
ICON is seeking an experienced Construction Purchasing Specialist to support the Construction Team and act as the liaison between the project management team and the construction supply base. As the Construction Purchasing Specialist, you'll manage relationships with subcontractors, write and execute competitively bid RFPs, and handle fast-moving purchase requests. To succeed in this role, you should be comfortable on a job site, reviewing construction drawings, negotiating contracts, and driving vendor execution. This role is based at ICON’s Austin, TX campus, and will report to the Director of Pre-Construction.
- Review plans, specifications, and contracts to ensure the correct equipment, material and subcontractor services are ordered and/or purchased.
- Execute purchase orders expeditiously as needed.
- Negotiate pricing and contract terms with suppliers with the goal of building lasting partnerships.
- Write and execute competitively bid RFPs, providing your perspective on which proposal best serves ICON.
- Work with suppliers and ICON counsel to get non-disclosure agreements in place and establish master service agreements on critical, fast moving, projects.
- Work with the operations team to drive speed and success through strategic workflow implementation.
- Understand the relationships between ICON and our suppliers to leverage value in partnerships.
- Plan, schedule, and forecast procurement activities, including driving long-lead buys and trades to meet project schedule.
- 3+ years of purchasing/supply chain experience with exposure to a variety of commodities, preferably within the construction industry.
- Experience working with standard purchasing practices and ownership of purchasing responsibilities.
- Must be a self-starter that is able to fully own their scope of work and work autonomously and able to regularly report our status and escalate when necessary.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Strong problem solving, communication, collaboration, and negotiation skills.
- Strong organization skills - must be able to effectively manage large scopes of work on multiple projects.
- Knowledge and understanding of construction materials.
- Expertise in reading & understanding construction documents such as plans, specifications, submittals, contracts, and payment applications.
- Knowledge of construction terminology, and various municipal building department regulations to ensure proper and timely permits.
- Prepare material quantity take-offs, utilizing on screen takeoff software, should the need arise.
- Thorough understanding of the homebuilding process and construction terminology.
- Complete understanding of the flow, and life cycle of a construction project from LOI to final purchase or issued to delivery/project completion.
- Understand construction change orders, and how to process them accordingly.
- Knowledge of market pricing & “should cost” methodology to streamline initial budget forecasting.
- Strong Microsoft office skills, with a heavy focus on Excel.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 1+ year of Sage CRE and/or ProCore software experience.
- Previous construction estimating experience.
- Spanish proficiency.
Furthermore, as a federal government contractor, the Company maintains an affirmative action program which furthers its commitment and complies with recordkeeping and reporting requirements under certain federal civil rights laws and regulations, including Executive Order 11246, Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (as amended) and the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974 (as amended).
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit candidates through this application. ICON does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency submissions for candidates and will not pay fees to any third-party agency without a prior agreement with ICON.
As part of our compliance with these obligations, the Company invites you to voluntarily self-identify as set forth below. Provision of such information is entirely voluntary and a decision to provide or not provide such information will not have any effect on your employment or subject you to any adverse treatment. Any and all information provided will be considered confidential, will be kept separate from your application and/or personnel file, and will only be used in accordance with applicable laws, orders and regulations, including those that require the information to be summarized and reported to the federal government for civil rights enforcement purposes.
ABOUT THE TEAM
Solving one of the most challenging problems humanity faces requires a level of diversity across disciplines. ICON believes that by being a non-homogenous organization, we can capture unique perspectives, educational backgrounds, and ideation. We strive to be inclusive and seek team members who share our passion for the mission within the mission: building robust and diverse teams to help us prevail in the face of our challenges.
We‘re a team of varied backgrounds, countries, and experiences, and we believe our differences make us stronger as we tackle some of the most challenging problems of our time.
Every startup wants to change the world, but we genuinely believe we’re not being hyperbolic when we say this technology has the potential to reinvent human shelter, dramatically improving quality and resiliency while driving down costs to make housing affordable for everyone. We believe in harnessing the power of construction technology for the good of all humanity, both here on Earth and off-world. And while we get excited about R&D accomplishments in the lab, we get more excited when we see our work out in the real world, printing real homes for real people.
We work hard because we know what we are doing can reshape the way we live as a species. And it doesn’t hurt that it’s super fun. Where else do you get to play with giant robots and see the results of your work manifest in beautiful full-scale buildings that didn’t exist before—and that someone can now call home?