Engineering Manager, Product
ICON is looking for an Engineering Manager to manage the cross functional development of our 3D printing systems that are revolutionizing the construction technology industry. The ideal candidate should have a solid foundation of project management tools, processes, and methodologies. This individual is fluent in multiple technical languages and proficient at communicating accurate information both out and up. We need a self-starter who is humble, meticulous, hardworking, collaborative and loves to solve problems. This role is based at ICON’s Austin, TX campus and will report to the Director, Product R&D.
- Conceptualize and own development of product roadmaps consisting of hardware development, software integration, functional testing, and field rollout strategies.
- Chair design reviews, engage stakeholders, and communicate decision points to director and executive management.
- Complete trade studies between cost, reliability, system complexity, and functionality to ensure accurate understanding of risk/reward decision trees.
- Manage a team of 3-7 engineers ranging from mechanical, controls, electrical, and technicians to rapidly develop, prototype, and productize systems and components.
- Develop and implement data architectures that allow for long term automation, status/functional reporting, and analytics to maximize efficiency and down select improvements.
- Build and maintain specifications, SOPs, and business workflows to properly engage affected business units and gain alignment across impacted parties.
- Support field rollouts and at times be hands-on in the integration, testing, and implementation of the product or system.
- Assume accountability for the entire program from start to finish while ensuring all project objectives and deliverables are met.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or STEM-related field
- At least 4 years' of experience with a proven track record of successfully managing hardware/software and or construction projects to concept to rollout.
- Experience conceptualizing workflows, reading system schematics, creating process diagrams, and generating system requirements.
- Exposure to a wide variety of technical challenges ranging from mechanical design to software implementation.
- Hands on experience with technician and operator teams, and ability to gain trust in technical competency.
- Knowledge of various part fabrication techniques (machining, welding, sheet metal fabrication, laser cutting, etching, injection molding, 3D printing, hydroforming).
- Create and execute system and subsystem level test and validation requirements.
- Experience with a variety of equipment, ranging from test instrumentation to complex concrete production hardware.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
- Must be prepared to work, in part, in extreme environments: temps > 100 degrees or below freezing, sun, rain, mud, lack of electricity, etc.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Previous start-up experience, and/or a resourceful innovative nature with an ability to streamline or develop efficient processes.
- Experience analyzing or viewing large datasets for complex machines.
- Practical experience generating data driven KPIs for performance.
- Low volume, high complexity manufacturing experience.
- Experience with traceability reporting, process engineering, data development and warehousing.
- Technical experience operating heavy equipment.
- Experience with OPC/UA servers, TCP/IP Protocols.
- Experience with Dewesoft or similar data acquisition systems.
- Structured text or other PLC programming logic.
- Palantir Foundry, Gotham, or other big data tools.
Furthermore, as a federal government contractor, the Company maintains an affirmative action program which furthers its commitment and complies with recordkeeping and reporting requirements under certain federal civil rights laws and regulations, including Executive Order 11246, Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (as amended) and the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974 (as amended).
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit candidates through this application. ICON does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency submissions for candidates and will not pay fees to any third-party agency without a prior agreement with ICON.
As part of our compliance with these obligations, the Company invites you to voluntarily self-identify as set forth below. Provision of such information is entirely voluntary and a decision to provide or not provide such information will not have any effect on your employment or subject you to any adverse treatment. Any and all information provided will be considered confidential, will be kept separate from your application and/or personnel file, and will only be used in accordance with applicable laws, orders and regulations, including those that require the information to be summarized and reported to the federal government for civil rights enforcement purposes.
ABOUT THE TEAM
Solving one of the most challenging problems humanity faces requires a level of diversity across disciplines. ICON believes that by being a non-homogenous organization, we can capture unique perspectives, educational backgrounds, and ideation. We strive to be inclusive and seek team members who share our passion for the mission within the mission: building robust and diverse teams to help us prevail in the face of our challenges.
We‘re a team of varied backgrounds, countries, and experiences, and we believe our differences make us stronger as we tackle some of the most challenging problems of our time.
Every startup wants to change the world, but we genuinely believe we’re not being hyperbolic when we say this technology has the potential to reinvent human shelter, dramatically improving quality and resiliency while driving down costs to make housing affordable for everyone. We believe in harnessing the power of construction technology for the good of all humanity, both here on Earth and off-world. And while we get excited about R&D accomplishments in the lab, we get more excited when we see our work out in the real world, printing real homes for real people.
We work hard because we know what we are doing can reshape the way we live as a species. And it doesn’t hurt that it’s super fun. Where else do you get to play with giant robots and see the results of your work manifest in beautiful full-scale buildings that didn’t exist before—and that someone can now call home?