Printed Construction Specialist
ICON is seeking a Printed Construction Specialist to play an integral role in building some of the world’s first 3D-printed houses. This individual will work as a member of the Construction Operations team and will liaise internally with the print operations team, and externally with clients, architects, subcontractors, city inspectors/administrators, and government agencies that focus on disaster relief. Most importantly, the ideal applicant will be an enthusiastic member of a dynamic startup team, which is creating dignified, resilient housing.
- Work closely with the Architecture and Building Performance team to assist in developing construction and installation details.
- Research materials and installation methods to help develop construction and installation details.
- Document material and installation best practices.
- Develop testing methods and mock ups as necessary to assess constructibility or performance requirements.
- Work with Test Print Coordinator to test construction details. For example, installation of doors, windows, electrical devices, plumbing, and fixtures.
- Work with architects, engineers, and builders to develop construction details that incorporate the ICON system.
- Educating other team members or trades on discovered best practices and techniques.
- Develop the ICON Home Care Kit.
- Serve in the role of Print field tech as needed.
- Various special projects that support Construction Operations.
- Be familiar with the practices of traditional home construction.
- Have a thorough understanding of typical residential and commercial construction details and the ability to read architectural and structural engineering plans.
- Understanding how the structure is printed and the implications for the finished home product are crucial.
- Have a basic understanding of the installation of all the trades associated home construction, including electrical, plumbing, HVAC, millwork, floor finishes, wall finishes and insulation.
- Be used to working in an adaptable environment and undertaking a variety of different projects to support the construction operations team.
- At least 3 years experience in construction.
- Ability to communicate with architects, engineers, software designers, print operators, and trades.
- Willingness to research best practices and provide recommendations.
- Strong written communication skills.
- Familiarity with tools, construction techniques and materials, and the ability to build for prototype and initial testing.
ICON is an equal opportunity employer and committed to fostering a diverse workforce. It is our policy to administer all personnel actions, including recruiting, hiring, training, and promoting employees, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin or ancestry, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other legally protected classification in accordance with applicable federal and state laws. Consistent with the obligations of these laws, ICON will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
Furthermore, as a federal government contractor, the Company maintains an affirmative action program which furthers its commitment and complies with recordkeeping and reporting requirements under certain federal civil rights laws and regulations, including Executive Order 11246, Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (as amended) and the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974 (as amended).
As part of our compliance with these obligations, the Company invites you to voluntarily self-identify as set forth below. Provision of such information is entirely voluntary and a decision to provide or not provide such information will not have any effect on your employment or subject you to any adverse treatment. Any and all information provided will be considered confidential, will be kept separate from your application and/or personnel file, and will only be used in accordance with applicable laws, orders and regulations, including those that require the information to be summarized and reported to the federal government for civil rights enforcement purposes.
ABOUT THE TEAM
Solving one of the most challenging problems humanity faces requires a level of diversity across disciplines. ICON believes that by being a non-homogenous organization, we can capture unique perspectives, educational backgrounds, and ideation. We strive to be inclusive and seek team members who share our passion for the mission within the mission: building robust and diverse teams to help us prevail in the face of our challenges.
We‘re a team of varied backgrounds, countries, and experiences, and we believe our differences make us stronger as we tackle some of the most challenging problems of our time.
Every startup wants to change the world, but we genuinely believe we’re not being hyperbolic when we say this technology has the potential to reinvent human shelter, dramatically improving quality and resiliency while driving down costs to make housing affordable for everyone. We believe in harnessing the power of construction technology for the good of all humanity, both here on Earth and off-world. And while we get excited about R&D accomplishments in the lab, we get more excited when we see our work out in the real world, printing real homes for real people.
We work hard because we know what we are doing can reshape the way we live as a species. And it doesn’t hurt that it’s super fun. Where else do you get to play with giant robots and see the results of your work manifest in beautiful full-scale buildings that didn’t exist before—and that someone can now call home?